The coaching staff will determine if the athlete’s attitude is acceptable based on the following:
- Does the athlete consistently accept assigned workouts with enthusiasm?
- Does the athlete consistently work up to her ability at practice and at meets?
- Does the athlete serve as a good role model and display good sportsmanship?
- Does the athlete take care of equipment, uniform, and locker room?
- Does the athlete show interest in the performance of self and teammates?
- Does the athlete properly prepare for her competition?
- Does the athlete advocate for the sport?
- Does the athlete show respect to the coaching staff and the decisions they make?
Attendance is crucial to an athlete’s success; consistently missing practice will hinder an athlete’s performance. Therefore, in the interest of the team as a whole we have a strict attendance policy in place.
- Athlete must arrive on time to practices and meets.
- Athlete will schedule work commitments around their meet and practices schedule.
- Athlete may not letter if she has 5 absences.
- Athlete may not letter if she misses 2 meets.
- Athlete will clear all absences from practices/meets with coaches, in advance, when possible. School sports in season have precedence over other sports.
- Athlete is committed to attending practices / meets and will work hard while there.
- Athlete will NOT attend practices or meets when ill.
- Athlete must COMPLETE the season as a productive member of the team.
Any athlete who has committed a chemical violation during the academic year will forfeit all team awards, lettering, team poster and captainship for the academic year in which the violation occurred. This includes summers, as stated in the contract with MHS and MSHSL. We, as a coaching staff, expect our athletes to be committed to their health and to the welfare of their team by honoring this contract.
Provided that attitude, attendance, & participation are satisfactory, a letter will be awarded to each individual who achieves:
- Places individually in the conference or section meet.
- Places in the top 2 as a relay team member at the Conference Meet
- Places as a relay team member in the section meet.
- Is the number 1 or 2 athlete in an event on the varsity for the entire season.
- A senior, who has been a member of the track team for 2 years, has contributed effort and commitment and does not qualify in any other category.
- An athlete who has contributed effort and commitment to the track team for 3 years.
- An athlete who achieves the standard as listed below:
All times must be Fully Automated Timing (FAT), or the equivalent thereof, a hand held time, rounded up to the nearest tenth + .24 seconds, as stated in the MSHSL rules book.
- 100 Meters: 13.90
- 200 Meters: 28.50
- 400 Meters: 64.00
- 800 Meters: 2:30.0
- 1600 Meters: 6:00.0
- 3200 Meters: 13:00.0
- 100 Hurdles: 17.50
- 300 Hurdles: 52.50
- Long Jump: 15’.0”
- Triple Jump: 31’.0”
- High Jump: 4’8”
- Pole Vault: 8’0”
- Shot Put: 30’0”
- Discus: 90’0”
Please note: The head coach and assistant coaches will make the final decisions regarding lettering.