The coaching staff will determine if the athlete’s attitude is acceptable based on the following:
- Does the athlete accept assigned workouts with enthusiasm?
- Does the athlete consistently work up to their ability at practice and at meets?
- Does the athlete serve as a good role model and display good sportsmanship?
- Does the athlete take care of equipment, uniform, and locker room?
- Does the athlete show interests in the performance of self and teammates?
- Does the athlete properly prepare for their competition?
- Does the athlete advocate for the sport?
- Does the athlete respect the coaching staff & the decisions they make?
Attendance is crucial to an athlete’s success. Therefore we have a strict attendance policy.
- Athlete must arrive on time to practices and meets.
- Athlete will schedule work commitments around their meet and practices schedule.
- Athlete may be removed from the team after 5 absences.
- Athlete will clear all absences from practices/meets with coaches, in advance, when possible. School sports in season have precedence over other sports.
- Athlete is expected to complete entire practice workout if leaving early.
- Athlete is expected to remain for the entire meet, unless cleared in advance.
- Athlete may not letter if they miss 2 meets.
- A senior who has completed 2 seasons, has shown effort and commitment, but does not qualify in any other way.
- An athlete who has shown commitment and effort as a team member for 3 years.
- Athlete will not attend practices when ill.
- Athlete must COMPLETE the season as a productive member of the team.
Any athlete who has committed a chemical violation during the season will forfeit all team awards, letter and captainship for the season in which the violation occurred. This includes summers, as stated in the contract with MHS and MSHSL. We, as a coaching staff, expect our athletes to be committed to their health and to the welfare of their team by honoring this contract.
Provided that attitude, attendance, and participation are satisfactory, a letter will be awarded if the athlete achieves:
- Places individually in the conference or section meet.
- Places in the top 2 as a Relay team member at the Conference Meet
- Places as a Relay team member in the section meet.
- Is the number 1 athlete in a varsity event at the end of the season
In addition, athletes can earn a letter by achieving the following performance standards in a meet, providing all other criteria are met. Times are FAT (Fully Automatic Timing) or handheld with rounding up and adding a .24, per Federation rules.
100 Meters: 13.90
200 Meters: 28.50
400 Meters: 63.50
800 Meters: 2:30.0
1600 Meters: 6:00.0
3200 Meters: 13:00.0
100 Hurdles: 17.50
300 Hurdles: 52.50
Long Jump: 15’.4”
Triple Jump: 31’.6”
High Jump: 4’8”
Pole Vault: 8’0”
Shot Put: 30’0”
*The Head Coach and Assistant Coaches will make final decisions regarding lettering.